NNLM is dedicated to providing a welcoming and supportive environment for all people, regardless of background or identity. As such, we expect respectful interactions with instructors and learners. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on characteristics that include, but are not limited to gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, ability, physical appearance, body size, citizenship, nationality, ethnic or social origin, pregnancy, familial status, veteran status, genetic information, religion or belief (or lack thereof), membership of a national minority, property, age, education, socio-economic status, and experience level. Everyone has the right to professional interaction without fear, intimidation, belittlement, or microagressions.
Everyone who participates in NNLM activities is expected to adhere to this Code of Conduct. It applies to all spaces of NNLM including, but not limited to online webinars and classes, workshops, email lists, online forums, and evaluation instruments. By registering for and/or participating in NNLM environments, you agree to abide by this code of conduct.
In order to foster a positive and professional learning environment we encourage the following kinds of behaviors in all NNLM events and platforms:
- use welcoming and inclusive language
- be respectful of different viewpoints and experiences
- gracefully accept constructive criticism
- show courtesy and respect towards other community members
Examples of unacceptable behavior include:
- written or verbal comments which have the effect of excluding people on the basis of membership of any specific group
- causing someone to fear for their safety, such as through stalking, following, or intimidation
- threats or violent language directed against another person
- the display of sexual or violent images
- unwelcome sexual attention
- nonconsensual or unwelcome physical contact
- disruptive behavior that materially and substantially interferes with or obstructs the teaching or learning process in the context of the educational setting
- insults or put-downs
- sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or exclusionary jokes
- excessive swearing
- incitement to violence, suicide, or self-harm
- continuing to initiate interaction (including photography or recording) with someone after being asked to stop
- publication of private communication without consent
Participants who are asked to stop any inappropriate behavior are expected to comply immediately.
Violations of the NNLM Code of Conduct may be reported via this form and may be submitted anonymously. Instructors may temporarily suspend students from a course pending incident resolution.
Violations by a student may result in:
- removal from course
- removal/suspension from NNLM system for a period of time
- permanent removal/ban from NNLM system
Violations by an NNLM instructor will be handled by the relevant supervising institution.
For assistance in resolving disputes or handling incidents, any involved party may request a review by an ad hoc team consisting of a representative from the NLM Office of Engagement and Training, a representative from the NNLM Cultural Humility Advisory Team, the NNLM Training Office, the Associate Director of the instructor’s NNLM Region or Office, and the instructor and will respond within 2 business days.
This document is adapted from The Carpentries Code of Conduct under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License.