This 1 credit hour on-demand class introduces you to the basic concepts of medical terminologies (including what they are and why they are important), followed by a deep dive into RxNorm, an NLM-authored medical terminology specializing in drug information. Designed for health sciences librarians and other health information specialists seeking to serve more active roles in their health IT team and better support researchers. Expect to spend 1 hour learning through videos and exercises.
By the end of this short course, you will be able to:
- Explain the purpose and value of medical terminologies.
- Identify some of the problems solved by RxNorm, and explain how RxNorm solves them.
- Explain what RxNorm is, and where it fits in the health ecosystem.
- Identify some basic use cases for RxNorm.
- Describe the structure of the RxNorm data files.
- Identify three ways to access RxNorm data.
- Use RxNav to browse and search RxNorm data.
Contact the NNLM Training Office for more information.